State Theatre1519 Euclid Avenue
A Glimpse at History: The State Theatre
The State Theatre, the first and largest of the PlayhouseSquare theaters to be constructed, had the distinction of being the venue with “the world’s longest theater lobby” when it premiered Feb. 5, 1921. The lobby also displayed four (now-priceless) murals by American modernist James Daugherty. Opened as a movie/vaudeville house, the State attracted such legendary performers as Abbott & Costello, Fred Astaire, Judy Garland, Jack Benny and The Marx Brothers. In its current 3200-seat capacity, the State has presented musical extravaganzas such as Disney’s The Lion King and Phantom of the Opera.