Artists (or teams) residing and working in Cuyahoga and surrounding counties are invited to submit their qualifications to create a mural on the theme of “Together We Shine” on an interior surface within Playhouse Square.
Local artists and teams of artists residing and working within Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Portage and Summit Counties are invited to submit their qualifications to create a mural on an interior wall of the KeyBank Concourse leading from the Playhouse Square parking garage to the Playhouse Square theaters.
The vision for this project is a signature mural art work of exceptional quality reflecting the theme of “Together We Shine,” providing a colorful and welcoming atmosphere for Playhouse Square guests and acknowledging the bright future of the not-for-profit performing arts center.
MONDAY, JULY 25, 2022 at 9 A.M.
Playhouse Square is the largest performing arts center in the United States outside of New York, with five fully-restored performance spaces built 1921-22 and six newer performance spaces. The not-for-profit Playhouse Square is Northeast Ohio’s destination for Broadway and more great entertainment. Playhouse Square is a champion of arts education and downtown Cleveland, and proud to be the home of resident companies Cleveland Ballet, Cleveland International Film Festival, Cleveland Play House, Cleveland State University Department of Theatre and Dance, DANCECleveland, Great Lakes Theater and Tri-C JazzFest.
This site-specific art work should:
1. Be original art created by the artist(s).
2. Create a dynamic visual experience that reflects the theme of “Together We Shine,” is welcoming and inspiring to visitors and celebratory of the importance of Playhouse Square.
3. Be appropriate for viewing by all ages of the general public.
1. The mural will be painted directly on an interior wall.
2. The mural will be painted in a high-traffic area. Artist(s) will need to maintain a pathway to accommodate foot traffic to and from the parking garage, and work around theater audience arrival and departure times according to a schedule mutually agreed upon by the artist and Playhouse Square.
3. Artist(s) will need to leave the area in a clean state when work is completed for each day.
4. Playhouse Square will provide a secure location for storage of materials.
5. Playhouse Square will provide parking for the artist(s) during meetings and installation.
Members of the Playhouse Square staff and executive leadership will evaluate artist qualifications. Additional selection committee members may be added at the sole discretion of Playhouse Square.
This request in no way obligates the artist(s) to enter into a relationship with Playhouse Square nor does this request obligate Playhouse Square to enter into a relationship with any responders.
In its sole discretion, Playhouse Square may pursue discussions with one or more artist(s), or none at all. Playhouse Square reserves the right to cancel this request or modify the selection schedule at any time for any reason.
Any costs associated with responding to this request are solely the responsibility of the responder.
Playhouse Square reserves the right to the finished image and use of images of the mural.
Playhouse Square will provide art direction and must approve the final design.
Artists not selected for this project will be notified in writing.
This request for qualifications is open to all qualified artists or teams, 18 or older, living and working in Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Portage and Summit Counties.
Qualified artists will have demonstrable experience creating large-scale murals for corporate and/or non-profit clients and must be able to complete the project within the specified timeline and budget.
The selected artist or team will be paid an artist fee of $15,000 to cover design development, installation and materials.
Call for artists RFQ issued
Application deadline (9 a.m.)
Chosen artist notified and invited for kickoff meeting
Initial sketches/concepts presented to Playhouse Square in person
Final design mockup in color presented to Playhouse Square in person
Mural to be completed by this date